Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Looking for Catharsis? I give you the Act 3 Finale of La Juive!!

We saw this production a few years back when it was in New York at the MET. It was one of the best evenings I have ever spent at the opera. The scene here, if I remember correctly is when it has been discovered that Prince Leopold has been consorting with a jewess. In the course of the scene, you will see him rejected-- anathematized, actually, by Cardinal Brogni.

The gentiles are above in white and Rachel (the eponymous Jewess) and her father Eleazar are in black below. I find particularly effective how Eleazar just gets back to work while the Christians above work themselves up into a blood-libel frenzy. He knows that what will be, will be and that he might as well ignore it, cuz what else can he do--- and besides there is work to do. He wraps the leather straps around his wrists so that he can get back to jewelry making.

Halevy, the composer, by the way, is nothing less than a genius. The music that is bringing this curtain down with a bang [in a most passionate G minor] is some of the most exciting and cathartic music I know. As Princess Eudoxie collapses (right at the end), what music is this for a collapse! It all makes my eyes water in the best way.



When we saw this scene at the MET, I remember being quite at a loss for words afterwards. It was also fun going into Tower Records and other places that weekend after the performance. Everyone seemed to be talking (or so I thought) about how dramatic and involving this opera had been... and they were also saying how suprising it had been that the MET had produced something riveting (these were in the days before the teh sexy reign of Gelb, of course).

2 comments:

Will said...

I think a lot of people in NYC were shocked by how viable an opera LA JUIVE is after seeing that production at the MET, particularly with Neil Shicoff's searing portrayal of Eleazar.

For years we'd been told what an old bore of an opera it was--surprise! it was, as you said, riveting.

Mark said...

It was so awesome. And yes Shicoff was amazing--- and while he records well enough--- I really just loved his performance live; it was real treat to be there and hear him--- secure singing that was a tad rough at times but full of colour, authority and, yes, searing. I quite liked Isakoke (sic?) too.