This is really very nice. This is Elettra's final aria from Idomeneo. It is a mini mad-scene and an opportunity for a soprano to chew the scenery to a fare-the-well. I saw the divine Carol Vaness do it so so so so so so so so so so so so well in SF in the late 90s [sotto voce to Carol: you got that somewhere on video? Send it to me and I will post it right here. k?luvuthnxbi.]--- as I was saying, Vaness does well and so does La Trebs.
Minus first: a tad bit of hoarseness (?) in the lower register. But whatever.
She ducks out of like two of staccati at the end of the twin runs at the end (you will note them when she goes up and then seems to go down in a figuration that suggests maniacal laughter). She should not have done that.
[Over at Parterre Box, there are some who will figure she needs to go to Sing-Sing and break up rocks for 30 years for this--- but I am not talking about those pedants, oh no, I am not mentioning those bitter people, oh no, I am not thinking of those ____ (because I am not thinking of them I will not say what I am thinking!) at all. Oh. No. Not. At. All.]
Pluses: the line is pulled so nice and tight all the way through (as is so so so so so so so so so so so so so so appropriate to this character at this point in the opera). Contrast with Renee Fleming's indulgences--swoops and croons. Trebs goes for and achieves a severe classic grandeur here. So tense. So intense. Yes!! I just love that! Score!! Go team!!
There is the touch of the slavic in the tone but the execution is all done to the highest of international standards, if you get what I mean. She is a playa.
Check out the drama in the voice--- it is there independent of the her acting with her face and body. Close your eyes; don't even look and it still is happening. It is really something how she does both. But all the same, do look. The arm coming up slowly as the aria is coming to its explosive conclusion is electrifying and it comes down so slowly even as the applause still continues.
Gosh I sure liked this!!
Monday, March 26, 2007
Trebs Mania -- Part the [who's counting?]
Posted by Mark at 9:40 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yeah I was going to forward this to you but I figured you had seen it already. I think it's a success -- if she can make this work, in all its hybrid germano-italianate intensity, then she should make REAL bel canto work. Her splashy video appearances are a true pleasure -- no doubt -- but I'm waiting to be a fan (again) until I experience that live performance where she well and truly knocks my socks off. I'd like to see her in a Sonnambula, which may happen in a season or two around here ...
PS -- did you know Ewen Bowie is a big opera fan?
You know there is a Netrebko Capuleti i Montecchi from 2004 over at parterre? I've had trouble downloading it, but it may be fixed soon.
Yes. I think I am going to try to download it and check it out. I notice too that the haterz in the comments are not having the nearly free ride they were getting when I sallied forth into battle before. And you know, La Cieca is interested in Trebs (in a good way), I think. Elsewise he would not be posting on her in quite the way he has been. I can't stress how far she has come since I first saw her in the Russian Rep. Trebs would be on stage and I would only have eyes for Larissa Diadvoka (sic? or something like that--- she is a very good mezzo).
Post a Comment