My new hobby is Anna Netrebko. Imagine that! I am more surprised than you are. Anyway...
As she is slated to do Lucia at the MET in, what, two years time, this video is of more than passing interest. Though from out here in NZ, it really is a matter of academic interest. Still though, one wants to participate. So look and listen (what do you think?):
This must be from a couple of years back? Not sure though.
Minuses first:
Trills = AWOL. One or two of them are kinda there, but she is up against the heavy hitters here and she falls short on this count, way short.
The top is not as powerful as it has clearly become now. But nice enough (oh yeah it is. The final high note is schu-weet.) And if you are missing that a bit here, she has got it for you now, in any case, baby.
Pluses:
Someone.Is.Home.And.In.Control.
Love the way she uses the language in the cabaletta. Her "per me"s at the end of florid passage work are delicious.
She is musical, in tune, and her low notes are so pretty! Like the timbre of her voice in general.
She acts with her face and with the voice!
(Oh, and yes, she is glamorous!)
You know, she is singing better now than she did when I first heard her about 10 years ago in the Russian rep. The middle and the top have focussed quite nicely.
Over to you, what do you think?
Sunday, March 11, 2007
Trebs Fever Worsens (Now in Lucia!)
Posted by Mark at 8:31 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Damn -- I've been out of touch. Sorry. Crazy busy here. Sad -- I have no time for anything. I love this post. Expect response(s) soon-ish (I hope). As for "barely legal" -- I used that phrase for the first time in class today (in re Nausikaa -- duh, lol). I think my students were scandalized.
Trebsomania comes and goes. You have to take the lows with the highs.
Nausikaa is barely-legal! You should do a paper on barely-legal teens in the Achilles Tatius, or something. Yeah the kids get scandalized--- and they don't know the half of it! Hah!! With Trebs, you do have to take the highs with the lows. I would like to see her live now to see how all of that intensity plays in the house with all the distances involved. Also, I still think Puritani was a mistake. You don't go into a Puritani without your coloratura chops being an A+. And I don't see that she has that. Lucia on the other hand is not as intense that way and you can hear the darndest people on record doing the mad scene. Heck, we have Sylvia Sass doing it--- and, you know, she does ok [and this is a gal who does Lady Macbeth!]. PS I know you have a lot on your plate right now.
Post a Comment