Pretty amazing actually--- a bit of hint of a suspicion of a cracked-tone at one point aside---just so you know I am not just all blinkered by all the glamourousness--- this performance is authoritative, secure, seductive, and, yes, quite glamorous AND, above all, musical. Lovely, just lovely. And yes I am surprised that I am saying this, but credit where credit is due. Enjoy:
Good on ya Trebs!!
Via Parterre Box [update: go there for wrangling with, as OperaChic might put it, the "haterz" who have been hitting the 
while being lemmings with their "fingerz" in their ears.]
[[Newest Latest Update: Ok so I was over there being Anna's (what I like to think judicious) champion. I referred to what Massanet wrote-- talking about what is actually in the score, after someone said that she shamefully and consistently ducked out on some ornamentations. At that point, I was accused of being a vocal coach--- of trying to offer vocal coaching to Anna, I guess. When I said I was just referring to the score as means of illustrating my impression of the relationship between what Anna was singing and the score, this (evidently devstating) charge of me being a vocal coach was repeated. Wha?!
I noted too, by the way, that the haterz were not touching what was interesting and exciting in her singing (e.g., the thrilling high-notes and the sense of line) and were instead after what had tripped her up in Puritani at the MET (coincidence? I think not!!)--- even if the score will really not support the assertions. Dark things were also said about the grumbling mid-ranges and lower volume--- which again were things not in the excerpt you have here.
There is no dealing with these people. I knew it, but an evil spirit was with me today. A little voice was going, close that score. Don't hit publish on that comment. This is going to take a lot of your mental energy!! But did I listen, no!
If you catch me over there on that thread again or indeed in the comments for a while, please chide me and tell me that I should not come crying to you when those mean kids over there are mean to me. I will however read the actual entries--- La Cieca is great.]]
Saturday, March 03, 2007
Anna Netrebko at the Vienna Operaball [updated] [and updated once more]
Posted by Mark at 6:16 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I like her frock. It'd be a bother to wear to a real party though - people would keep standing on the train and tripping her up. (Yes, I'm horribly shallow. ;->)
You are not shallow. That is a frock to believe in, I should think. And alhough there is the tripping issue to consider, you should have worn it at Knossos--- that would have been just the way to make one's way to Piano Nobile, don't you think?
i laughed out loud yesterday when i read your comments over there, but i decided to keep quiet to see how it would play out. a blogger throw-down via opening up the score! Bring it! you're totally in the right btw. hayterzzzzzz bware!
i rather liked the clip myself, as my comment over there indicates.
yeah... well I kind of regretted doing it in a way cuz it is like talking to a bunch of blockheads, for the most part and a dreadful waste of time. I loved how the terms of the debate would be changed, when the ground became unfavoranle... and particularly idiotic was the notion that one could not praise some of the performance because Susie Soprano is still languishing without a contract. I am supposed to moderate my aesthetic opinions becuase life in general is unfair?! In any case, I was really naive when I thought opening the score would be regarded as helpful. Instead, it was clear that I was in the biz or something. But you know, criticize her when she does wrong but don't get all on her ass for skipping ornamentation when she is precisely NOT doing that. And those high notes were so exciting. I just loved that clip for its take-charge glamour that was both secure and alive. There was someone really home there. She has changed so so so much from when I heard her in the 90s in the Russian rep in SF.
yeah when she's on she is SO ON. I heard her Mimi via Sirius this past December and it was lovely lovely lovely. And you're right those high notes in that clip really satisfy.
that is just it--- when she is on, she is on on on on--- and she has the chops to really grab you by the throat. Da! Teh Trebs!! Da da da, TEH DA!!
Post a Comment