Friday, March 09, 2007

Thematic Dissonance [updated]

Just when it appears that this is once and for all an opera blog, something happens to throw all calculations off. This happens so often in so many ways and so many places, as I (and you) have found. The universe has yet more mysteries to share.

O Magnum Mysterium, O Res Inexpectatas!

Right!

To the matter at hand:

In the last couple of years, I have been listening to some mixed CDs that have resulted from some parties at a club in San Francisco that I used to frequent in the late 70s and early 80s, The Trocadero Transfer. Anyway one of the cuts was this fun track from the final days of The Supremes. The earlier Supremes' cuts are over-exposed and I will never need to hear any of them ever again (though I will, oh yes, I will). But this one is from 1977 and it showed up on one of the CDs from a party in 2005, as I have said. This track has a sweetness and earnestness to it (check out the violin lines for example) that contrast tellingly with the high drama and at times intimidating brilliance of dance music of later decades. This video is a hoot and fun, you will want to let it load all the way before you play it. Also, Mary Wells evidently was pregnant and Scherrie Payne always was a diva:



Check out the girls at "I'm feelin' good, I'm feelin' loose!"-- nice nice neck work. Wish I could do that.

[I felt about like this when I finished my dissertation, got my first job, and my permanent job, by the way.]

Hat-tip to Disco Delivery.

0 comments: