Well, as I write this post I am sitting at my lovely desk while the enchanting stylings of Myslivecek's opera seria Il Bellerofonte are rawking de house [Myslivecek 4evah!!!!111!!! (I experience things that don't happen to everyone everyday, clearly)]. Anyway, last night's concert was a nice thing if mildly frustrating in places. Lawrence Renes is a super conductor. He excelled in his accompanying of Kiri in three Mozart concert arias and in three Strauss songs. The Figaro overture which opened the program was delightful. And, most importantly, the Mahler fourth was pastoral where it needed to be, gently sarcastic where it needed to be, passionate, too, where it needed to be. The symphony breathed and his view of the work felt natural and right and was totally engrossing. He is, TRH and I agree, pretty easy on the eyes too: 
We see him in Bruckner's 8th symphony tonight. The stars might very well be in alignmnent for something really good.
At 63, Kiri is in the sunset years of her career. She looks like a million bucks and played the role of cool yet impeccably gracious diva to perfection. The beauty of her preternaturally beautiful voice is still in evidence. There were no issues with intonation worthy of mention. Her ability to edge her tone or makes it smooth as creme is still hers to do as are her always tasteful and beautifully judged portamenti. But (and you were waiting for that, were you not?), she was underpowered. We were not far back and we could not hear her at times especially when she needed to do a little bit of coloratura. Also, in spaces where you wanted her to let the tone free [Rawk de house Kiri!!11!!! Let the big dog hunt!!], she seemed to hold it back. I sensed that she could have filled the hall on a number of occasions but then chose not to. But you know, she may know best. I just teach Latin and think about monks and sex, while she is still singing in her sixities and quite well, all things considered. We will admit that perhaps the Dame knows best. I was glad to see her again.
Saturday, March 31, 2007
Concert Report: Kiri in Mozart and Strauss and Renes and Kiri in a Mahler 4th
Posted by Mark at 9:28 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
a great report (and you're right -- I WAS waiting for that "BUT") -- i would love to hear the dame live myself, but i don't see that happening any time soon. sigh. ok, so tit-for-tat I'll make you jealous: I have a ticket for the north american premier of Der Ferne Klang on April 15.
:-)
DFK!! I am so so so so so so so 12 to fifteenth power so jealous. Do a big report on your blog!! I wish you could wire yourself for sound and post the whole thing!!
You know if by chance she does Vanessa anywhere near you before it is all over, you should really try to see it. I suspect however that she is done with the stage now.
You know NYCO is doing Vanessa next season? Can't f-ing wait for that. "night after night, i hear the hungry deer wander weeping in the woods ..."
Yeah you will like it a lot. We saw it in Seattle in 2000 or 1999 or something like that. It is a really excellent piece. It is really great when Erika is reading from Sophocles (OC or OT, I think) and Vanessa is like, let me show you how it's done!, and she takes the book and goes to town. Fun fun stuff. Vanessa impersonate Oedipus for while and it fits quite well with the rampant self-delusion and covered up mirrors and all the rest in the opera. Pleasantly thought-provoking.
Last time I heard Dame Kiri live was at the MET in "Capriccio" in which she was just heaven, and looked incredible. Reports of her Vanessa were very strong but I was never near any of the places where she did it.
I've already reserved my "Vanessa" ticket at NYCO for next season--Lauren Flanigan's doing it there with Rosalind Elias--the premiere cast Erika--as the Old Baroness. I cannot wait.
Post a Comment