Thursday, March 08, 2007

Disaster!

Well, no one died or anything, so I do have a little perspective--- BUT NOT MUCH... so we show up for the screening in the nice auditorium of that new DVD with Voigt of La Gioconda. This was going to be a nice thing and then on Saturday we were going to see a VHS cassette I have of Bumbry doing it from Spain in 1988. The deal was to be that with the nice up-to-date one in our ears and eyes--- the fact of Spanish subtitles on the 1988 cassette was not going to cause trouble (though not much for me as I read Spanish and know this opera like the back of my hand, or something) and it was going to be a La Gioconda spectacular for 48 or so hours. Husband is keen but he needs his subtitles or a recent performance that did. Well, anyway, in a major display of bush-league f!@#$%d-up-ness, the people who were showing the DVD forgot to check the speakers, for once the music started to play it was abundantly clear that the speakers were blown. Oh for crying out loud! How can such wedgedness occur? How? There will be a make-up date at some vague point in the future. Anyway opera friends will still come over on Saturday but Bumbry's (what promises to be a most) interesting performance will have to wait for later. I want to denounce somebody over this, or at least pitch them into a canal.

0 comments: