Thursday, March 22, 2007

I play bridge...

...and as a newbie and one who at times is NOT that good at hiding his reactions to the hands the deals reveal... well, shall we say that Antonietta Stella here in this clip from La Fanciulla Del West by Puccini...um... erk... shall we say that I know how she feels AND that I have a better notion of how I must look at times? Shall we say that? Sure. Let's.



Of course, she is quite happy at the end because she has saved her lover's life through this card game. In my imagination she could be singing in those final glorious broad and high lines the following:

"I bid five and got one over-trick AND we were vulnerable!"

[Which happened last night!! Buona Notte indeed!!]

[[Via NYC Opera Fanatic]]

[[[P.S. I think I need to get more Antonietta Stella in my life.]]]

3 comments:

Mashugenah said...

My grandparents are visiting from the RSA for the next wee while, so my hope is that I'll finally get a couple of hands of bridge played in the next week or two. Secondary to this is hoping that I can remember a damned thing, or alternately, that they can't remember either. :)

Mark said...

Good luck with the grandparents! I bet you will play just fine. I suspect you have a good mind for the cards. It is harder for me. And, hey, is Antonietta nervous and jumpy enough, or what?

Will said...

As a kid–I was eleven–I saw her twice at the MET. The first time was as Butterfly in the first season of the beautiful “rice paper print” production that was mounted for her; the second time was later in the same season in Tosca. She was a handsome woman and charismatic on stage–exquisite in Butterfly and extremely glamorous and passionate as Tosca. I don’t remember anything as frenetic as in this Fanciulla clip but I very clearly remember that whenever she was on stage, you looked at HER.