First up is Leevi Madetoja's The Ostrobothnians. It's a Finnish opera from one of Sibelius' students. It is set in Ostrobothnia, which is an area of the world I have not given much thought to over the years (though I did have a sort of geeky interest in out-of-the-way countries when I was an adolescent-- and I must admit Finland did attract my attention-- so far North and so far East! cool!!). Anyway, as I said, the opera is set in Ostrobothnia--in the upper central part of the country: ![]()
As the opera was first given in the the 1920s and the dramatic date is some time before that, that means that the action occurs when the Finns were not self-governing and instead were a Grand-Duchy of the Russian Empire. As you can see, Ostrobothnia is sort of like out of the way--- it's like you get yourself to the middle of nowhere and then have to drive another 180 miles. As these people live in the middle of nowhere, it is a case of, you will excuse me, Finnish white trash mixing it up with the authorities and it all turns out badly. These people are poor and the plot turns on trying to get a guy out jail, more or less. Madetoja could have played up a nationalistic angle but opted instead for a gritty little drama.
While the plot might be gritty and all the rest, the score is earnest and beautiful. There are not the sorts of flights of fancy that characterize the Schreker or Strauss operas but it is loaded with interesting harmony, sweet-sad folk songs and a keen sense for the dead-end lives of these people. It is a wise opera. While it finds what poetry there is to be found among these dead-enders, it is also clear-eyed. I must stress, however, that the opera is very easy on the ears. It is lovely and memorable. In fact, I strongly recommend everything Madetoja has written. The symphonies for example are lovely. I may take an opportunity to discuss Madetoja's Juha at some point in the future (and we might even feature Merikanto [he wrote a Juha too] with Madetoja in an "M & M Juha face-off"-- just think!)
This is a fine recording from 1998 with the skillful Jukka Pekka Saraste in the pit. Here he is:
He knows what he is about. I saw him conduct at least once in LA. It was very fine Mahler 6. I have heard his recording of Mozart's Haffner symphony which is also quite nice [the opening motif is done so that it sings; he has the violins employ some discreet portamento to imitate how a Fiordiligi might handle that moment. Brilliant. But I digress...). It is cast well including the wonderful Jorma Hynninen:
I have enjoyed him live and on recording for years. I saw him in the first production of a Finish opera in LA called Kullervo. I cannot recall who the composer was. He sang well and acted well too--- he was the total package and speaking of package--- there was no lack there, or so it seemed to me. The excellent Monica Groop is on the recording too. One Raimo Sirkia (otherwise unknown to me) just sings so well!
On the Finlandia label, this opera has been allowed to go out of print already. This is a shame.
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Madetoja's The Ostrobothnians
Posted by Mark at 4:00 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is fringe opera. Is a comparison with Janacek off the mark? I'll start looking around for this.
Ostrobothnians = Eastern Bosnians with a gay lisp? But I guess that would be Othrobothnians.
Off to hear the Bavarian Radio Orchestra tonight at Carnegie Hall (never been before). On the program is the Shostakovich 6th, Karita Mattila singing the 4 Last Songs, and the lovely Rosenkav. suite. I will report.
I told you I would be running after obscure things. And a cf. to Janacek is not off the mark at all. In the case of both, the elaborate harmonic machinery of the late romantic has been transcended but without making making the resultant music into a sterile embrace of either a brittle neoclassicism or a gloomy, ascetic dodecaphony. But Janacek's utterly personal way with the orchestra and his way of tapping into emotion is probably superior to this piece. I mean is there anything to surpass the final scene of the Markropoulos [sic?] Case? No, there is not.
I will look forward to your report on what promises to be a great concert. Mattila should just shine in the Strauss and, oh coincidence!, we saw the Shost 6 down here earlier this year. It was great! Really a good piece--- gloomy (in a good way) opening movement and a rollicking finale that is not to be taken ironically (or I don't take it so anyway), and that is a relief.
Post a Comment