
Duty calls me away from my brand-new blog which is surely agreeing with me so far. I am going to be wandering ruins in Greece with undergraduates for five weeks talking about Mycenae this, Minos that--Dark Ages, Golden Ages, Bronze Ages. (They will party at night big time like the Kiwi youth like to do. I will be getting my rest. In the early the very early 80s on the other hand, I lived in SF and well...)
After Greece it is on to the US where I will be doing the family thing and will be reunited with the husband. Also, I will be away from the dog for two months. That is not making me happy but, as I said above, duty calls (and he has a good situation while I am away, so there is not an issue there at least).
Anyway, as you can see, a portrait of Amilcare Ponchielli the Divine heads this entry. All this talk of La Giocondas in NY, of B flats falling flat in cf. to memories of la divina Kunc or honest-to-god falling flat and winding up on, if I remember correctly from a most amusing blog, "a perfectly comfortable A natural"-- all this made want to do SOMETHING. I felt left out. But what could I do? I was in a quandry. Anyway, when at dinner tonight with the husband, I asked what rarity I should talk about next and he said, not missing a beat, "what about I Lituani by Ponchielli?" I said, "well I have to listen to it first" (cuz, people, I don't know it). But I have always wanted to know it better and in fact read a reprinted thesis on late 19th-century Italian opera that talked a good deal about this opera about 20 years ago. I have been curious about it ever since. And besides, I love love love La Gioconda and Ponchielli! He's great.
Anyway, we have what I hope is a good recording--- Gavazzeni is conducting and that is a good good sign--- it's live of course--- and it is the perfect thing to bring into the mix-- and still keep with the theme of rarities. Gonna fight B-flats with Lithuanians. Yes! I will be listening while I am on the road and hope to have something on this in December or January.
I may post a bit more but I probably should not. I have to write some lectures on Cretan "palaces" and, honey, those lectures are not going to write themselves. Not even if you ask nicely.
Sunday, November 05, 2006
Housekeeping and a Promise
Posted by Mark at 8:13 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am jealous that you are going to Greece. Surely you will have an ouzo one late evening with your students. Right? Just one?
Will you be travelling to Pylos to see Nestor's bathtub?
I look forward to hearing your dissertation on Ponchielli. Will I see you in San Diego before then?
I may have some red wine, a little. Just don't tell my husband, k? We are going to Pylos--- so affirmative on that. And yes, we will be seeing you in San Diego. Aren't we down for dinner one night? I seem to recall that we are. Husband will no the specifics.
Post a Comment