Well it turns out that the spot in I Puritani where the soprano sings a high E flat is not at the end of the opera (which I established in miserable detail in a previous post), no, it is not there. Nor is not not there. Rather, as Chalk graciously pointed out in the comments, it occurs at the end of one of Elvira's rockem-sockem arias, Vien Diletto. This aria is in A flat and the high E flat makes for a nice high thrill note as the second to last note before the end of the aria. (Next time you are at La Traviata, remember that the Sempre Libera is also in A flat and that that high note [which appears to your delight or which she ducks out on to your disapointment] is likewise an E flat). Anyway here is the score, with the E flat written in [do enlarge if you are of a mind]: 
As for my error, I suppose it could be worse. I mean I could have made a mistake with NORRRRRMA or mispoke on something from TRISTAN. But, all the same, THIS IS PURITANI; Puritani is no Adelson and Salvini. I hope my Bel-Canto card isn't yanked. Gonna have to do some quick talkin' and at the very least renewal for 2008 is gonna be a beyotch. I remain reliant both on your patience and yours, dear readers.
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Mas y mas de dem High Notes (Episode Three: E-Flat Discovered!!)
Posted by Mark at 7:48 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
How could your Bel Canto card be pulled?! You own the scores to (at least!) Puritani and William Tell. I have a plinky plinky midi keyboard on my laptop. You are serious. I am a dilettante.
Thanks Chalk. I will call you as witness for the defense should it come to that.
btw, love the dog bone underneath the rossini score lol
Oh yes--- there the bone is... It will be unwrapped in a couple of days and thereafter be happy Nelson's diminishing possession.
that bone wouldn't last 5 minutes in our house.
Post a Comment