I have a couple more things to share.
The first up is... what? ... is it, I hear you guessing as you listen... like Human League? Except it's not!... which becomes quite evident when the vocals come in... so what is it? Well, it's nothing so common as the New Wavishness of Human League's Don't You Want Me (a good song actually). It's Sad Italo-Disco! Everyone's favorite subgenre (if you are from my neck of the woods). It's Runaway by One Two Three. The year is like 1981? 1982? And this song was a total playa on the floor of That Hot Troc for like a year and half and it would come on at like 6:00 AM--and the light man would opt for sad darkness with baleful and not plentiful red lights. Those WERE the days:
The next item is happy happy happy and it's One Two Three by the Peter Jacques Band. About 1980. It is Mark's bubblegum addiction showing up again. Catchy and fast, I loved it from the start. Orchestration is superb:
The last item is Magnifique by Magnifique. It may impress you as silly at first but it in fact is one of the most magnificent of all the disco songs (that one would hear only in the clubs). It may sound frivolous like I say but it actually is earnestly sinister in a way that is fun when you are doing some serious clubbing. Magnifique was to be heard in the heart of the evening at 3:00 AM usually. I first heard it like in 1979 and I can recall it still turning up in the clubs in 1984 AND we of course still thought it was awesome. This particular remix creates a sense of architecture that is only present in the original in nuce and by doing so it maximizes all the potential that this song possesses:
"Oh! That feels good. It's really hot stuff. C'est magnifique!"
Monday, August 04, 2008
Some of the Things I Wind up Listening to as I Write (Part Two)
Posted by Mark at 12:59 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I didn't know Runaway at all--man, does it have "You were a waitress in a cocktail bar" all over it!
I'm NOT a Barry Manilow fan but after only one hearing or two on the radio I got Copacabana stuck in my mind. I started writing a parody version in my head. One couplet I remember was:
His name was Rico; he was a mobster.
He fed Lola French champagne and lobster.
You realize that you're dredging up some ancient and bizarre memories for me!
Happy to deredge up!! Dredging up is the new...well you get the idea. That song by ONE TWO THHREE we all just KNEW was by Human League. But of course it was not! It was meant to be a rip-off and, well, it succeeded. Love the made-up lines to Copacabana... I want to make up ones that would surely not be suitable to uh, ahem, a mixed audience about the Mr. The Neighbors Will Hear. I will work on that.
His Name was Tedster?...
...this may take a while.
This particular remix of Magnifique creates a sense of architecture that is NOT present in the original, that's why i posted it :-). For me this version is the only version that maximizes all the potential that this song possesses !.
Cheers.
Hey Discoimperium,
Thanks for the comment and thanks for all the nice Youtubes you have! I kind of agree with your comment--- I probably do overstate the perceptible potential in the original and, well, the remixers were fucking geniuses to come up with the architected splendor that they did. Hey, have you heard Magnifique on the latest "Remember the Party" set? The DJ, whose name escapes me at the moment, just goes to town using two discs of the disconet remix, I think, to create a really cool version.
Bonham is the DJ. I just remembered!
Post a Comment