Thursday, July 10, 2008

More Pictures of Summer Trip to the South Island!

Some more of Christchurch. These were the grounds of this place where we ate breakfast:











On the way to Invercargill:



Dunedin train station:



TRH in Dunedin:



Nelson on the way to Dunedin (har har har):



I am not sure where this is:



On the way to Invercargill again (these are so out of order!--- and I am not sure why):





2 comments:

Will said...

What has always drawn me to this period--another aspect of it that influences our lives to this day--is that the late Empire and the migration period saw the formation of Europe as we know it. It was a rough time and I'm intrigued by the stories those who prospered and those who were overwhelmed and disappeared.

Do you know John Boswell's "Same Sex Unions in Premodern Europe"? He looks at a different Roman Empire, the one that western historians have frequently ignored--Byzantium. He found there paired military saints, men who were lovers, soldiers, and who are in some cases venerated by the Orthodox Church as couples (Sts. Polyeucte and Nearchos, for example).

I'll be very interested in your book!

Mark said...

I do know Boswell's book. I don't think that book was done quite as well as might have been owing to his illness at the end but it is still a rich resource and I think that he has put some stuff out there that has yet to be handled properly.

I hope you do enjoy the book. One of the things that I will be doing will be considering the place of same-sex desire in late antiquity and its formative influence on conceptions of manhood at the time.