Sunday, October 21, 2007

Turandot Review

Well this was the best thing I have seen the opera do since I came to NZ. The Faust last year was not bad. The Lucia earlier this year had a nice soprano, Elvira Fatykhova, whose only fault was that she could hit a high e-flat and hold it for only about 2 seconds--- she would hit it and you would be going, "sounds nice, ok! give it me, sock it to me, mamma!" and then she would wrap it up and take it away, as though saying "that's all for you, young man!". Why she does not have a really major career is clear enough to me. It was awkward, really, that she would hit this note and then take it away so quickly. I had never heard anything like it before. We will pass over the Edgardo, Yvan Momirov, in nearly complete silence. The rest of the cast was fine. The minister, Raimondo, one Jud Arthur, was a good singer and easy on the eyes...ok...he was teh hott. Ooh boy. Preach it! You want me to sign something? Sure, anything, ANYthing for you, RaiJudArthurMondo.

But I am here to discuss Turandot.

Like I say, it was really a good production. It is an Alden production which I almost always like. He did an awesome Lucio Silla in Long Beach and super-duper-neato-torpedo Vespri in SF (I still thrill to the triple assassination of Tenor, Baritone, and Soprano in slow-mo in the final moments [yes-- Procida shoots Arrigo, Montfort and Elena dead!! Teh excitement!!!111!! 4rls!!])

But, like I say, not as I do, so far, I am here to discuss Turandot.

The Alden production eschews for the most part overt Chinoiserie (sic?) and instead conjures up a hybridized scene. It is a combination of Cultural Revolution China and late-capitalist-glamour-puss-globalized-celebritized-absolutistic naked assertion of dictatorial-cult-of-personality power---um, you know what I mean. Turandot becomes a glamorous vision of modernity that nonetheless anchors itself in a timeless claim to authority. Modern glamour in purple velvet makes a primeval claim that is not to be denied. This production is highly perceptive on the direction the world very well might be going in. I found it highly thought-provoking.

Check out Turandot. This is from Act 2:





See what I mean? The scenery--spare, modern--cements this impression.

The singing was at a very good level (Liu) to truly excellent (Calaf, Timur and, crucially, Turandot). Here is the cast and production team list:

Turandot Margaret Medlyn
Calaf Dongwon Shin
Liù Maria Costanza Nocentini
Timur Grant Dickson
Ping Phillip Rhodes
Pang Adrian McEniery
Pong Benjamin Fifita Makisi
Conductor Nicholas Braithwaite
Director Christopher Alden

It was announced that Medlyn had a cold but she went on anyway. She has a powerful voice that has a number of brilliant and incisive colours in it. She is an excellent actress and will make you forget that there is anyone else on the stage. She has the measure of the role vocally and histrionicly. We are lucky to have her. Most successful!! Brava!

Shin in the mid range can sound a tad provincial but his upper notes are highly brilliant and deservedly bring the house down. He cleaned up in "Nessun Dorma", and, folks, it really was good. Nocentini sounded a little out of sorts. I saw the dress rehearsal and she was better there. Timur was good. Powerful. The three Ps had lots of funny business to do and I have never seen them staged so well. However, this was closing night and they were still muffing their lines a tad. Honestly! That should not have been happening. Braithwaite chose one excellent tempo after another and the orchestra played fine. The piccolo player needs to work on his or her e flat--it fell apart at the end of Liu's death scene (Why do I note this? Well, I play the flute and piccolo myself.) Fatykhova and the piccolo need some e-flat tutoring.

Here are some more pictures:

Turandot and Liu (Act 3):



Turandot and Timur (Act 3):

7 comments:

Will said...

Wow, that Act 2 costume looks hard and repressive--great design. You probably know that among traditinal opera lovers the Alden boys are the devil incarnate, right down there with Graham Vick and Calixto Bieto. From what I've seen, there's a lot of validity in what they do.

We had a very intelligent Turandot in Lebanon, NH by Opera North this summer. Claudia Waite (Met Opera) made it very obvious that Turandot's "conversion" occurs far more during the confrontation with Liu than just from the kiss by Calaf and in this production something very much the same seems to be happening.

Waite's singing Isabella in Glimmerglass's first-ever U.S. production of Wagner's Das Liebesverbot next summer. I can't, ahem. wait.

Mark said...

Das LV! Oh why, oh why did I ever leave central New York?! I can't believe I just wrote that! That sure sounds like a treat. We lived in Clinton New York for three years and we used to go to Glimmerglass all the time. Such an excellent thing is Glimmerglass. Next year, down here, they will be doing Boheme (YAWN) and Jenufa (which will be good).

Chalkenteros said...

Yeah this looks awesome. What a breath of fresh, contemporary air! When I think Turandot all I can imagine is the Zeffirelli set. Sure it looks da' bomb but it's sooooo old fashioned.

Mark said...

Yeah I saw the Zefferelli and it was just too much. The piece has a really stong and clear musical profile and clear and strong staging is really appropriate for it [duh? duh!]. Saw the Hockney production and it was pretty awesome in just this way.

Phill Dexter said...

Pleased to see this production was so well received in NZ. As the lighting designer it was a tricky one to follow as Alden was not present and I just had his notes of intent. I used mostly large discharge film lights and intelligent lights which change colour and move. There is another pic on my website: www.limeburner.co.nz

I moved back out to NZ 4 or 5 years ago from London and must admit that pretty much everything I had seen up to 07, production wise, was pretty revolting. Either ill conceived 'homegrown' productions or second rate imports. True the Turandot was an import but at least wisely chosen. The Lucia was also a fine product which I believe they are hoping to sell to Houston Opera Company in the US. We shall see.

Mark said...

The lighting was really first rate and the production was engrossing as a whole (which has generally not benn the case down here--- as well you know). I also agree with you that the Lucia looked good.

Thanks for the comment, btw.

Also would you mind if I posted that picture from your site with proper crediting?

Phill Dexter said...

Hi Mark, no problem using the picture.

The Janufa, like the Turandot, is a low priced 'favour' Lange acquired from the the UK. With only managing the Buxton Festival to his credit he is not the most inspiring individual in terms of artistic talent but has good connections when it comes to buying good discount opera productions. Not a skill the previous artistic director had. Look at Magic Flute.

I think NZ needs an opera company styled more on the ENO than the ROH approach. We need an opera company ptiching opera at the people not the just the rich. The tours are simply there to just appease Creative NZ.

How about seeing a little John Adams?


I see Lange is trying to sell the Lucia to the Houston Opera Company in the States.
I fear this desire to make shows that are exportable as kiwiana has been a long-standing attempt by recent and current artistic directors to empire build their reputations and the results have been pretty disastrous. Look at the RNZ Ballet’s production of The Wedding, not to mention the Opera Company's Elixir of Love set in a gymnasium!

Please note that most of my comments are more in reference to production values rather than the singers’ talents. All the best.