Monday, October 08, 2007

Dessi in Adriana Lecouvreur

[Dessi blogging!!! OK!!]

Earlier this year, they did Adriana Lecouvreur, a wonderful opera by Cilea, at La Scala. Gosh I would have loved to have been there for that. Opera Chic covered it very nicely in a number of posts. Here is one of the entries if you are interested. You can get all scrollolicious from there and read more, if you are of a mind. OC is fascinated with the Dessi's bust and makes reference to Dessi's endowment amusingly a number of times.

But how is it that Dessi has come to be on the blog menu, as it were? Weren't we supposed to have Trebzoroaster blogging? Well, we were but YouTube has taken away the video that I wanted to post. The lost video is a version of Musetta's waltz-song from La Boheme done like a music video that J-Lo or someone like her would do, only with Puccini. Anyway in it La Trebsaldine is married to this guy and they are like rich and stuff and as they are being driven somewhere her eyes keep meeting the eyes of the hottt chauffeur AND it looks like something may happen but it does not AND at the end it looks like she has only thought of dishonouring her vows and will not now, nor ever. The final look between them is farewell forever [or at least they finish their meal and need a ride home, I guesss] (I add here that Anna Banana has also been singing full on in the back seat of the car, which does put a lot of weight on ye olde suspension bridge of disbelief, you know). Furthermore, the narrative of the video where infidelity is thought of but then is successfully resisted (and let me tell you the wedding bands are a bright shiny gold if memory serves), seems like the idea of what constitutes edgy on some Christian network. Oooh she almost gave in to sin. Thrills. Chills. Sheesh, this is hardly the dementia of which Ethan Morden speaks. But anyway, I am not going to discuss that video because instead I have this one which I ran across as I searched for the other one.

Cilea, Cilea, Cilea! One of the also-rans in the verismo sweepstakes, but he did place well with this opera. The melody is 24 carot-gold and Dessi does it well. She has a nice strong voice and she looks great, if you ask me. And the boys, right before she starts the big melody: "splendida...portentosa...musa...diva...sirena," talk about a fan club! The aria and opening material make for a most gratifying entrance for the soprano. It has been one of my favorite things since I first heard it. Cilea 4eva! 4rls!

3 comments:

Chalkenteros said...

Yeah, I have Sutherland's Adriana. It's very beautiful but I don't listen to it very often. Perhaps I will listen to it tomorrow and post a more responsive response.

Mark said...

Does that mean you don't have Tebaldi's? OMG. If you don't have hers you do know that you cannot go on like this too much longer. You do know that don't you? And then there is Scotto's (with this guy named Domingo and this other guys named Milnes--- oh and there is this guy named Levine in the pit who keeps time pretty well, too) which is, well, pretty damn good too. Sutherland's is definitely hehind either of these.

Mark said...

Excuse the typos! I am NOT going to fix them!! I have to referee a paper on Ammianus Marcellinus which they wanted in July and I have been otherwise engaged, as well you know. They are like patient but I know that I am being cursed behind my back. I have turned into my advisor, btw. I was so like "why hasn't she done this? why doesn't she just MAKE the time?" I get, I so get what was going on now. At least I was not a dick about it at the time.