Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Another Piece of Convincing Evidence as to Why One Should Love Bel-Canto

We are now back to some original content. Hooray!

Below is a short clip from the Act One Finale of a real rarity: L'Ultimo Giorno di Pompei by Pacini. (The plot of this opera is not without interest to Classicists in the audience and, to my ears, Pacini has included a number of odd-sounding marches that are meant to evoke the Roman mileau.) He wrote this opera in the 1820's. The recording from which this clip comes is a good performance of a very fun piece. I recommend it to you. I listened to the whole thing yesterday morning and was most pleased. You can check out the entire recording here.

The clip features the talented (if a tad bit wild) Iano Tamar as the lead (as you will hear). I like the way Pacini writes an assertive and cutting line for his prima donna. Teh ok! Then when she is done with her bit the chorus bounces in with some very catchy music which has some insinuating chromaticism that falls so sweetly upon the ear (or on my ear at any rate). You know, the bel-canto masters will insert little things here and there in their works that will enchant the listerner if he or she is susceptible. I am terminal in this regard and Pacini is very, very good.

Here is the clip. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Chalkenteros said...

This is fun -- tho Tamar seems a tad sloppy in that middle bit just before the chorus chimes in. This is before the eruption, I assume?

Mark said...

Fair question! Hah! Bel-Canto aesthetics could possibly (scandalously) allow for a volcanic eruption to sound this cheery (though maybe just not). In any case, no, this is before the eruption. The eruption occurs at the very very end in Act II.

Chalkenteros said...

So Pacini does not, I take it, anachronistically indulge in a dodecaphonic nightmare as Vesuvius blows its lid and everyone turns to ash?

Mark said...

No he does not. And here we can reflect on an opportunity missed. Our own Paciniolo could have stolen the march on the Second Viennese School! But, alas, he preferred to play it safe and thereby secured his place in the shade.

Chalkenteros said...

Hey do you have the Carlo di Borgogno on the Opera Rara label? Great review over at arkivmusic.com.

Mark said...

Yes we have it. We have not gotten around to listening to it yet.

Mark said...

Oh gosh. I just checked out that review. That's some nice cast, including the Thais and Elvira of the hour (over at your place) la divina Futral!!!!11!!

We are heading off to the south island on Saturday (it is Fall break here)--- I will try to take it with us.

Chalkenteros said...

Have a wonderful journey!!!! And do let me know about the Pacini!

Mark said...

The Pacini is packed. I will endeavor to post on it when I return

ahem... ahem...

GBOR! GBOR! GBOR! [God bless Opera Rara]