Thursday, June 18, 2009

Latest News

In case anyone is reading this, I still have heard nothing on the book manuscript. My editor is positive but the readers have been slow and hard to find. The work I do is interdisciplinary (gender + religion + late empire + lots of philology) and this has meant that my process has been delayed. I am frustrated and worry that this will not have a good outcome, but, that said, everyone who has read the correspondence from my editor thinks that I should be optimistic. In my intellect I agree but my heart--- it sure does like fretting.

On a more a positive note, I submitted a long article (13,0000 words) on the Emperor Julian and his friend Salutius to one of the major journals yesterday. That project is now out of my hands for the moment. Let's hope that this set of readers will move with more dispatch.

This peer-review thing is in need of work, quite frankly.

All for now. Ciao!

2 comments:

Will said...

I've missed you! Good to hear something. I've had a book on Julian in my reading stack for months. Some project or other's always come up that's led to my having to bump it and I've yet to get to it. I know very little about Julian and he fascinates me--I wish he'd succeeded. The more things deteriorate in this country with the radical religious Right trying to nudge us into some form of fundamentalist theocracy, the less happy I am with any form of Christianity

You know I'm keeping fingers crossed for you o both projects, as I think you know. Best of luck--and please don't be away so long again!!

Mark said...

Julian is an interesting character when you put his works under a microscope that probes the broad Greek-language context in which he and his peers were steeped. Ancient manhood is just plain interesting too. Thanks for the good thoughts and I will certain announce the good news when it finally comes.