Here we have Grace Bumbry from the 80s I think. She is rawking da haus in one of the Spanish houses.
The story in brief: La Gioconda has made a deal with Barnaba that she will give herself to him. He is now coming to "collect." At first she pushes him away, "Hold on Romeo; I gotta make myself all pretty-like for ya." And he is all, "you have got my motor running, mamma!" And then she says, "you wanted me? You can have me dead!" and she kills herself. Barnaba, ever the gentleman, tells the dying La Gioconda that he strangled her mother. (Though in this production, the decision seems to have been that he is telling this to her corpse.) Curtain falls to loud f-minor chords.
Though a mezzo at least some of the time in her career, Bumbry really had the dramatic soprano goods.
The performance is a little wild especially at the top but she has nice tone in all the registers. She also knows how a diva is supposed to act in this repertoire. Check out the dramatic way she kneels, with one arm up as she goes down. The fall when she kills herself is disturbing because it seems real! The switch to overhead camera is shocking! The plucked lower strings when he shakes what he realizes is a corpse? Conductor!! [thumb up]!!
(I am not sure what the story is with the figure that we see at the end. Is it the Virgin, who has been remarkably unhelpful to our poor heroine? Could be. Oh irony!)
PS I will be on the south island for a week. I will be back with pictures and, most importantly, OPERA LOG!
Monday, November 05, 2007
La Gioconda -- Finale OR "Just a sec, k?, I need to get ready"
Posted by Mark at 10:42 pm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That was all kinds of fun, not least for the Barnaba, whose head and way the hair on the side of it sticks up makes him look like the boss in Dilbert.
It is fun I agree! I just love this opera and always will. I don't get it when people are all up in arms about the plot. They don't bother to go after Trovatore for this reason, you will note.
The hair on Barnaba does make him look just awful. I would kill myself too to avoid having him paw me.
Au contraire, I have heard a lot of criticism of the Trovatore plot, especially of a mother throwing her own baby into a fire "by mistake," Seems some people can't recognize a raging case of post-traumatic stress when they see one. Your point is well taken.
Ok the baritone looks ridiculous -- who is that btw? But La Bumblebee sounds good -- love that voice. Bet the book that hit her boob hurt. Ok another boob reference. Am I str8>? Jeeeez.
I'm not certain that looming figure at the end is la virgina -- maybe la cieca?
Have a great holiday on the island!
It would not be La Cieca cuz Barnaba strangled her. I think it might be the virigin because of the rosary aria and all that. The baritone who just looks dreadful and is not having that great a night--- I can tolerate a lot--- others I feel certain would not have posted this vid--- is Matteo Manuguerra, if I am not mistaken. With all the boob talk of yours are you queering queerness? Is straight the new queer and you are leading the way?
A mi me gusta el nombre La Bumblebee mucho, chico.
Post a Comment