Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Back!

Well we did have a lovely trip. I have drawn you up a little map here (it is more than a little crude--- the red is our general motion and the green is a special trip we took one day to this totally deserted and gorgeous beach on the west coast):



We first went down to Christchurch which was flat, boring, and rather rainy. Will not visit there except for business in the future. We did howver take a trip to Akaroa which is out on the coast. I have crudely labelled it on the above map for you. It was beautiful and below are some picture that will prove it. After 2 days of fairly poor weather, like I have said (with some nice clearing for that day trip), we called the place where we stay in Takaka on Golden Bay to see if we could come a day early. We could! So it was good-bye to boring Christchurch and back up the island. It was a lovely six-hour drive on which we saw a lot of beautiful. country in the interior of the island that we had not seen before. Takaka is where we spent a little over a week. It was chill-time. Watching movies. I wrote up the bulk of Chapter Four of my book--- the muse was most cooperative. I have this book review I am supposed to write but as long as the muse gives me unfettered access to my brain (or something like that), the book review can f!@#ing wait, yaknow? Dinners, all made by me in house, went well. Brekafasts too. Dessert, usually a strong point, was another story. I made a terrible pie [can't use already-made pie crust, I know I know, I was looking for the easy way out faced as I was by a primitive kitchen, yeah yeah I know) and some lame cookies. Two for two!! Score!! People!!! We listened to a lot of opera from all periods (things by Fibich, Lalo, and Strauss, inter alios). One day we made our way to a really deserted beach, as I said above. New Zealand is great for that. Now Pictures.

Next two are from the road above Akaroa:





Here is the view from the front of the little house we rent in Takaka. (Just behind you, you can hear Timmy making excuses as to why he might not want to have a cookie just right now):



Various other shots from around Takaka:









The remaining shots are from that deserted beach (nice huh?):









4 comments:

Chalkenteros said...

Wow beautiful pics -- that beach is so beckoning. Glad you had a nice trip and glad to have you back. You've been tapped by the way (by me) for this lame-o, somewhat humorous book-meme thing. See my blog for details.

Mark said...

Way ahead of ya, bro.

Mashugenah said...

Christchurch is a nice place to live. At least, I liked it a lot. I've just about applied for various jobs there about a half-dozen times since I moved back to the NI 6 years ago. I guess I must be due for another flirtation about now. :)

Did you go to the Uni? their classics museum is somewhat bigger than Vic's, though it's hard now to get excited by either. Wonder why? :)

Glad you had fun in the SI. It's got a lot of neat areas. To me it always feels more old-world than the North..

Mark said...

I did not get to the Uni--- I figure that professional duties will take me there sooner or later. Why don't you want to stay in Wellington?